Friday, January 05, 2007

Achievements are how Microsoft is gonna edge in on Google

Mark my words, the popularity of Microsoft’s “points” system (aka “Xbox 360 achievements”) is going to be how Microsoft comes back against Google and Yahoo. Those Xbox wackos (I’m one) will look to get a leg up on their friends by using other Microsoft services.

Imagine if you earn an achievement for doing 100 Windows Live searches, or doing a search that has no results for it, or doing a search that’ll return a Microsoft.com page in the #1 spot.

Don’t think this matters? Every Xbox’er I know keeps track of how many achievements they’ve gotten. I still remember how Chris Pirillo got excited when I was over his house and he earned an achievement.

They are addictive. Watch for Microsoft to expand the points system.

No comments: